Bart’s key achievements and values:
- CIO and Security Officer, especially in the healthcare sector , with extensive experience in cloud first and hybrid environments.
- Understand and solve IT needs for Organisations, Executives, Employees and Customers.
- Use coaching, and a leadership framework to create trust and empowerment and improve collective performance.
- Innovate and deliver quality results.
- Mission driven: actualize and collaborate.
- A complexity made simple focus.
Business and IT strategy, planning and budgeting; security and compliance (NIST, HIPAA); partnership building; operations; project management and coordination.
Cloud first architecture; hybrid cloud and migration; Microsoft Azure and 365; SIEM; business intelligence; virtualization; databases; network design; storage; infrastructure.
Growing up on a farm, my dad recognized my passion and bought me an Apple II Plus. But it came with a challenge: use this to optimize the feeding of each milk cow. That is how we rolled: learning by being challenged to deliver real value. Sailing -another passion of mine- trained me in teamwork, thought me the importance of intensive preparation, for the unknown.
Throughout my career, these strategic skills proved their worth in various challenging situations:
- When a large nonprofit had had been down for weeks, I was hired to get the organization back on its feet, whilst recovering them from a slew of bad IT-practices. Since, I have solved similar situations for other large-scale organizations and built partnerships to deliver their IT for over 3000 employees in 120 locations. We built a private cloud infrastructure and combined this with public cloud solutions to migrate to a hybrid environment.
- Equally, when a major storm during a sailing race in 1995, I was one of only two of the six crew on our boat still willing to steer. With ten other boats lost, we took home an important lesson in life, which proved to be important for my own career: delivering security is not a theory, or technology. It is a set of interlocking pieces, human, operational and technology that work together. A major ransomware attack at one of the organizations I worked at left hardly any traces: no data was lost; no ransom was paid and only one part of operations was down for a few hours. Exactly because we were ready, and the team knew what to do.
My pragmatic approach to IT security delivers optimal protection of any organizations’ data for employees and customers, whilst meeting compliance requirements and passing audits.
At the executive level business value needs to be delivered and operations must be optimized, enabling staff to do their job in the best possible circumstances, simple and effective. Customers need to receive great services whilst protecting their privacy, in line with real-world challenges. An essential part of reaching this are technology partnerships and cloud first solutions as to scale up, reduce cost and improve services. Having worked in five countries across three continents, I consider cultural diversity as a stimulus for motivating a team, letting it grow and being an active part of it as a proactive leader.
If you are challenged by the real-world complexities of IT and need someone who understand the technological and human challenges, please reach out to me. I’d love to work with you on that.
Contact me if you have those needs.